Re: ChordMarkup context

From: Manuela Gößnitzer
Subject: Re: ChordMarkup context
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 06:25:09 +0200

Thank you for this really nice piece of code!

Hi all,

in the long thread starting at
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Chords-in-LilyPond-td203294.html
a method to have a more direct way to typeset chords was requested.

Some quotes from different posts by Matthew:

"What I think is most needed is a chord-naming mode that *just prints what
the user typed*, formatted with the fonts, spacing, and so on that we
expect for chord names - not translating it to an "internal
representation" of notes plus extra data as LilyPond "music" at all."

"The natural way for typesetting of chord
names to occur is by a direct mapping from input chord names to output
chord names without going through the current "music" data struture
consisting of notes, at all."

"Request for rootless slash chords"
"Request for "alt" notation for chords"
"User wants to enter:
  \chordmode { e13 }
and get
  E13
but instead he gets
  E9 13"
"User wants to engrave a chord they describe as "Gm7(b5)/F""

As already said in this thread a possibility would be to go for Lyrics.

Meanwhile a similar request appeared in the german forum.

So I tried a proof of concept, although I'm not convinced of the idea
to have chords as markup only.
Also, one drawback may be the huge amount of string-operations. I fear
it may come at a cost (compilation time) and other problems once
guile2 is used (didn't try so far).
Admittedly, it _is_ easy to put in uncommon chords

See attached with new context, engraver and printing-procedure.
I would have loved to rename lyricmode, though I think it can't be
done without extending the parser? (I'm guessing ...)

Works with 2.18.2

Cheers,
  Harm