Broken (?) snippets in openlilylib/snippets

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Broken (?) snippets in openlilylib/snippets
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 18:17:11 +0200

Hi all,

I'm wrapping up a number of things in openLilyLib, and I came across
snippets where the example files don't compile (with LilyPond 2.19.60).
Please go through this list and if you feel responsible for the snippet
please have a look:

* notation-snippets/align-lyrics-on-vowels
  (warning: ignored infinite X-offset)
* notation-snippets/alternating-time-signatures
  (well, that's me, I'll keep it as a reference)
* notation-snippets/blackmensural-notation
* notation-snippets.lyric-syllable-magnetic-snap
* notation-snippets.metric-mod
* notation-snippets.scale-vertical-spacing
* notation-snippets/shaping-bezier-curves/slur-attachments-example.ly

* editorial-tools/git-commands
  (me again)
* input-shorthands/easy-octaves
* specific-solutions/xelatex-markup-list
* templates/predefined-instruments

* notation-snippets.scaling-stencils
  Is this a snippet or an example?

* is input-shorthands/sizeContext still necessary or has this been
included in Lilypond in the meantime?

Maybe this isn't all that has to be done, I also realized that this
repository is very inconsistent in style and quality. However, I want
the snippets repository to become a member of the openLilyLib package
family, which means that - in addition to the existing style of
including the "definitions.ily" files of a directory the stuff can be
loaded as "modules".

Currently this relies on snippets on the "make-modules" branch and
oll-core on the "config" branch, but I intend to merge both in the next
days.

This will result in input code like for example

\include "oll-core/package.ily"
\loadPackage page-layout
\loadPackage \with {
  modules = arrows.frames
}
analysis
\loadModule snippets.notation-snippets.compound-slurs
\loadModules snippets
#'((notation-snippets compound-slurs)
    (input-shorthands easy-custom-dynamics))

An overview of this mechanism can be found on
https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core/wiki

Going through most of the directory structure made me realize that I
would really like to move and rename many modules. For example
"easy-custom-dynamics" should not be accessible through
snippets.input-shorthands.easy-custom-dynamics
but through
snippets.notation.custom-dynamics
Also there are many verbose directory names that should be shortened:
snippets.notation-snippets => snippets.notation etc.

The problem is that such a reorganization and renaming would of course
break lots of existing files ...

Best for now
Urs

https://openlilylib.org