Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if there is none
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 20:21:27 +0100

On 09/07/17 20:06, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:

>     > Le 9 juil. 2017 à 18:24, address@hidden
>     <mailto:address@hidden> a écrit :
>     >
>     > As you can see on the screenshot, both texts are misaligned. The
>     first one, a \tempo, is placed *under* the rehearsal mark instead of
>     next to it.
>

> Another perspective is that the tempo is placed at the point of the
> tempo change, rather than what you want, which is to place it at a point
> in time after that change is supposed to have occurred.
>
>     > How can I move the texts to be next to the rehearsal mark (without
>     manual adjustments)?
>

> Well, you are asking for a manual change (due to a non-standard
> placement of tempo), so please expect all solutions will necessarily be
> manual.
>
> Since you want the tempo to appear over beat 2, you could try placing
> the tempo there, rather than at the downbeat.
>
> Your desired solution is non-semantic, so it's coding will reflect that.

Maybe, but placing all related marks one after the other is just as
semantically correct as placing them one on top of the other ...

> Finally, these two statements are contradictory:
>
>     A real engraver who wanted to stick to those conventions would
>
>     presumably shift the note to the right
>

>     wasted white space is high on my list of priorities

How come? Shifting the notes to the right wastes maybe one note-width of
one stave. Stacking marks on top of each other wastes an entire line of
text - bad enough in portrait music but appalling in landscape (where
saving space tends to be extremely important - the music is only A5 to
start with!)

Cheers,
Wol