Re: A contribution (was Re: snippet to properly align dynamics with expr

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A contribution (was Re: snippet to properly align dynamics with expressive text)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 08:44:53 +0200

Am 08.07.2017 um 16:58 schrieb Simon Albrecht:
> On 08.07.2017 15:49, Richard Shann wrote:
>> I was intrigued by this, as I have a patch to the figured bass formatter
>> that has been hanging around because the route to making contributions
>> that I knew about involved a virtual machine which I can't get working
>> on my current system.
>
> The method Urs named is possible with openLilyLib, but not with the
> LilyPond source.  That
> means you would have to get a VM to work, or install a Unix system in
> parallel – both a lot of
> effort for one small patch obviously.  Or you just e-mail your patch
> to the devel list and ask for
> someone to shepherd it through the review process and into the code
> base for you, which is done
> from time to time.
>
> Best, Simon

I have to add something here.

Simon is correct that I described a method for openLilyLib, not
LilyPond. The Github copy of the LilyPond code is not up-to-date and is
basically a mirror that *can* at any time made ready for people to
contribute with a lower entry barrier than setting up a developer
account on LilyPond's proper repository.
However, this would still require a developer *with* such an account to
process a patch, i.e. pull it to his local machine and upload it to
LilyPond as a patch for review. So nothing would be won with that for
your use-case, Richard.

HOWEVER:
Linux (i.e. for you, a virtual machine) is required for BUILDING
LilyPond, not actually for contributing. If you don't have that you by
definition can't do any modifications that require building LilyPond but
you can only work on the LilyPond and Scheme files.

What you need for contributing, i.e. sending patches into the review
line and eventually the code base is:

* Git
* git-cl
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/git_002dcl)
* Accounts on the sourceforge tracker and the savannah git repository

git-cl is a Python script, so that should be possible to install on any
computer.
So essentially, if you are planning to contribute .scm or .ly files only
(and as you don't have a build system I assume this is the case) I'm
sure you can set up a proper contribution toolchain on your OS of choice.

Urs

https://openlilylib.org
http://lilypondblog.org