Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if there is none
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:26:23 +0100

On 10/07/17 21:18, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> a tempo mark always belongs *after* a rehearsal mark if they collide
> In my opinion, a tempo mark belongs exactly over the moment it affects, and
> all other marks need to move (horizontally, vertically, or both) around it.

It struck me, actually, after my last email, that the OP's example is
pretty much a perfect example of how different people see music differently.

You keep on going on about "the moment" in the music, and I know what
you mean - you mean the point *on the paper* where the note is printed.
Which moves all over the place such that if you actually played the
notes according to the "distance" they cover on the page you'd have a
horrifying rubato effect :-)

To me, "the moment" "obviously" :-) means the moment in time the note is
played, which to me is represented by the barline, not the position of
the note! :-)

(One of the things that sometimes gets me, playing music, is just how
hard it is to get musicians to play the note that is written - how often
do you get them playing a crotchet as a semi-quaver! To the extent that
I've seen music - not much admittedly - that actually writes crotchets
as tied to a semi-quaver or something on the next beat in order to say
"this one-beat note is one beat, not a fraction of a beat!" :-)

Cheers,
Wol