Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Place text next to rehearsal mark, or with left edge over barline if there is none
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 09:08:07 -0400

Hi Wol,

> You keep on going on about "the moment" in the music, and I know what
> you mean - you mean the point *on the paper* where the note is printed.

According to 99% of Western musical notation, that's the point at which the
note begins.

> To me, "the moment" "obviously" :-) means the moment in time the note is
> played, which to me is represented by the barline, not the position of the
> note! :-)

But not every note has a barline associated with the same moment [in time]…
How/where do you play those notes? Do all notes in a measure get played at
exactly the same time, right where the [leading] barline is?

> how often do you get them playing a crotchet as a semi-quaver!

From my experience, that's restricted to the band world. In the string world,
it's often the opposite: players play notes longer than their written duration.

> I've seen music - not much admittedly - that actually writes crotchets
> as tied to a semi-quaver or something on the next beat in order to say
> "this one-beat note is one beat, not a fraction of a beat!"

The only composers I know of who did that as a rule are late 19th Century and
early 20th Century British composers (my experience in that area being mostly
choral). I must admit, it's quite confusing when you first encounter that
notation!

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer