Re: measure numbers with letters

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: measure numbers with letters
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 02:01:15 +0200

On 22.07.2017 22:05, Paul Scott wrote:
Shouldn't I get bars numbered 1, 2, 2a, 2b, 2c?
I've wanted this feature for some time and didn't realize it
existed.

It doesn’t exist. We have alternative mechanisms for labeling volta alternatives, but no mechanism for pasted bars like you need it. It won’t be difficult to concoct some syntactic sugar to make a straightforward manual solution, however I have to ask the crowd myself: why isn’t it possible to override BarNumber.text?
{
  c'1 \break
  \once\override Score.BarNumber.text = "1A"
  c'
}
does not work – I even tried writing a callback which changes the text after-line-breaking, without success…

Best, Simon