Re: .ly file partially compiles, then LP crashes

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: .ly file partially compiles, then LP crashes
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:16:27 -0500

Simon,

That was my tack -- the dirty way was to slowly comment out sections and see what happened. It's the oddest thing. I'm writing a piano reduction mostly from string parts, so I'm doing this:

<lilypond>
pianoRH = {
<< { ViolinI } \\ { ViolinII } >>
}
pianoLH = {
<< { Violo } \\ { Cello } >>
}
</lilypond>

As shown, did not compile. Comment out ViolinI, compiles. Add it back, compile fails. Comment out ViolinII, compiles, add ViolinII back, compile fails. WTH? So, I think you're right, it's some sort of memory/resource something.

But ...

I replaced the ViolinI code with the original code (from the composer) AND IT NOW COMPILES in its entirety.

That is maddening. But, I've no time to waste on it now, and thankfully I've little hair to pull out over it.

Thanks for your reply, MUCH appreciated.

Guy