Re: trouble adding space between systems

From: Reilly Farrell
Subject: Re: trouble adding space between systems
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 09:29:14 -0700

Thanks!  Your second solution:

\paper {
  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #20
}

is just what I needed.  One thing I'm noticing, though, is that when I compile melodies into a chapter using lilypond-book and pdfLaTeX, my specifications for vertical spacing get ignored.  In other words, the changes are reflected when I compile .ly files individually, but not when I compile a chapter.

(For reference, I've set system-system-spacing.basic-distance = \globalOptions in each .ly file; globalOptions is a variable I've put into a .ily file that affects formatting for all individual files.  The goal is to be able to adjust the formatting for vertical spacing between systems for all melodies by adjusting one variable rather than a line in each .ly file, of which there are several.)

Any feedback you have for why LaTeX might be ignoring the new solution and how to overcome this problem are deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Reilly,

please keep the list cc-ed until conservation turns real private

> Based on this feedback, I've been trying out the \paper block method listed
> in the first link, which seems closest to what I would need.  I've been
> having trouble getting this block to have an impact on the score, however.
> Here's a sample of how I've been trying to use the \paper block solution:
>
> \paper {
>   system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #3
>   score-system-spacing =
>     #'((basic-distance . 12)
>        (minimum-distance . 6)
>        (padding . 1)
>        (stretchability . 12))
> }
>
> \relative {
> c'4 c'4 c4 c4 |
> \break
> e4 e4 e4 e4 |
> \break
> g4 g4 g4 g4 |
> }
>
> Is there a step I've missed in the process of integrating \paper?
>
> Thank you for your support,
> Reilly

(1)
The spacing machine _is_ complicated, no doubt. It can do a lot of
stuff, though!

First you need to make clear to yourself what kind of music you have
and what _exactly_ you want to do.

In the case of your example you have a score with a single Staff.

You may want to distribute it's systems over the whole page. That would lead to
\paper {
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

Or simply insert a little more space between them. That would lead to, p.e.
\paper {
  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #30
}
I usually insert a high value first to see, whether it has an effect
at all and to be sure that I've chosen the correct variable!!

You may want more space before score starts. That would lead to, p.e.
\paper {
  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #30
  top-system-spacing.padding = 10
}

Though, if a markup is between top and score this variable doesn't
apply anymore (\header will cause a markup!). You'd need to set
spacing for top-markup and probably markup-system. That would lead to,
p.e.
\paper {
  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #30
  top-system-spacing.padding = 10
  top-markup-spacing.padding = 10
  markup-system-spacing.basic-distance = 10
}
\header { title = "TITLE" }
I'd let the now not more applying variables in \paper, because
subsequent pages may need them (probably no header anymore or the
like)

Several more possibilities ...

(2)
Note the difference in syntax:
  system-system-spacing.basic-distance = #30
  as opposed to:
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 30)
       (minimum-distance . 6)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 12))

Every of the spacing-variables has four possible entries:
basic-distance, minimum-distance, padding, stretchability.
The first syntax updates one single entry (basic-distance) with a value (30)
The latter (re-)defines the whole list.
Also see, http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/modifying-alists

(3)
The four possible entries (basic-distance, minimum-distance, padding,
stretchability) have different meaning. See:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables#structure-of-flexible-vertical-spacing-alists

(4)
If you want to space the simultaneous happening contexts of a system, like
<<
  \new ChordNames ...
  \new StaffGroup
    <<
      \new Staff ...
      \new Staff ...

  \new Lyrics ...

the paper-variables don't apply, rather study
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems

Cheers,
  Harm

--