Re: Adding an introductory note(s)

From: Stephen Nesbitt
Subject: Re: Adding an introductory note(s)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 15:33:53 +0000

Yeah hard to describe. Assume that both the A and B part have a quarter note pickup measure. These pickups bars differ from each other. The first alternative in the A section will end with the notes from the A anacrusis. The second alternative in the A section will end with the notes from the B anacrusis. So the A alternatives differ.

In the B section the first alternative will contain the notes from the B anacrusis. The second B alternative will be a short measure with a space for the final quarter note.

Here's my melody line markup for The irish Washerwoman (there are a couple of custom macros here, but the sense should be obvious):

melody = \relative g' {
  \global %key signature
  \set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-circle-alphabet
  \partial 4 d'8 c
  \mark \default
  \repeat volta 2 {
    b8 g g d g g |
    b g b d c b |
    c a a d, a' a |
    c a c e d c |
    b g g d g g|
    b g b d c b |
    c b c a d c|
  }
  \alternative {
    {b g g g d' c|}
    {b g g g g' a |}
  }
  \dfrepeat
  \break

  \mark \default
  \repeat volta 2 {
    b g g d g g |
    b g b b a g |
    a fs fs d fs fs |
    a fs a a g fs |
    e g g d g g |
    c, g' g b, g' g|
    c, b c a d c |

  }
  \alternative {
    {b g g g g' a}
    {b g g g s4}
  }
  \ebar
  \label #'lastPage
}

I'm still on 2.18 so I haven tried the multiple anacrusis capability.

-steve

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:43 AM Davide Liessi <address@hidden> wrote:
> If there's no difference in the first and last bars of the repeat,
> I'm not sure why you go to the trouble of \alternatives. What is
> stolen gets immediately paid back. I would have thought that simple
> repeat barlines make that clearer.

What's wrong with using proper repeats?

\version "2.19.63"

\relative {