Re: Setting paper for bookpart

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Setting paper for bookpart
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 22:38:07 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This works fine, but only if the bookpart already has \paper
>>
>> So use the LilyPond syntax variant instead?
>>
>> What are you currently after?  Getting some task done or working out
>> where LilyPond's Scheme interfaces are having holes and getting them
>> filled?
>>
>> Of course approaches differ then.
>
> This thread was triggered by a request in the german forum
> https://lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,105.msg686.html
> While I think there is a working sollution over there, I now try to
> explore whether LilyPond could be improved with regard to this topic.
>
> I can fill an empty bookpart with a header using ly:book-set-header!
> I can fill an empty bookpart with scores using ly:book-add-score!
> But obviously there's no possibility to get a paper into an empty
> bookpart. Otherwise the answer would have been dropped hours ago.
>
> What's needed to have/get/code such a function?

I think that part of the problem is that looking at the functions in

lily/book-scheme.cc

it seems like bookparts were never intended to have paper blocks.  Now
after actually checking it would appear that at least several bookparts
cannot appear on the same page: so at least the paper dimensions likely
don't clash.

So what is supposed to be the actual difference between bookparts and
books?

I actually don't know how to tell, and it shows by the parser not
knowing how to know that

\xxx

is not a book when xxx has been defined as \bookpart { \paper {...} ...}.

I really don't have an idea what the distinction is supposed to be about.

--
David Kastrup