Re: weird Accidental spacing/padding issue

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: weird Accidental spacing/padding issue
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 09:29:06 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Kieren MacMillan [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
No.

> Does this happen when you use Emmentaler for the music font?

Yes. (Aside: Switching back to it to test that reminded me how much I love Cadence!)

Thanks! I hoped it wasn't a font problem.

> I looked at the internals section and there is the 'extra-spacing-width property that is set to '(-0.2 . 0) by default. Not sure if setting that to '(0 . 0) would change it, but maybe. Not sure when it changed, exactly, but some time between when the 'parent-alignment-... properties were added and now.

Adding

    \override AccidentalPlacement.right-padding = #0
    \override Accidental.extra-spacing-width = #'(0.3 . 0)
    \override Accidental.extra-offset = #'(-0.05 . 0)

to my score seems to bring it closer to what I would expect to be "default spacing". I'm uncomfortable that I don't know what the real root problem is… but at least I can get on with engraving!

Yikes! That's an undesirable set of overrides. Tolerable, but undesirable. Would be good to get to the bottom of what's really causing the extra space.

Best,
Abraham