Re: making all grobs breakable (for easier polymetric scores)

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: making all grobs breakable (for easier polymetric scores)
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 00:05:39 +0200

Am 04.08.2017 um 19:33 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Is there any way to avoid this? I'd like to say, in effect, "during this passage,
every (e.g.) eighth note should be considered a breakable point for the purposes of
layout calculations".

\set Staff.barAlways = ##t
\set Staff.defaultBarType = ""

This sets a "" barline after every rhythmical event that occurs in the score (not only the current staff). You then need to set the “real” barlines by hand, something like:

\new Staff <<
  { \time 3/2 c''1 2 1 2 }
  \repeat unfold 2 { s1. \bar "|" }

All notes would maintain their original duration (at least visually), all beaming would
stay as expected, etc. — it would just allow breaking "everywhere". A command
like

Hm … the solution from above breaks beaming because autobeaming never sets beams across barlines.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated — code that solves my problem, even
more so!

The code above just inserts "" barlines; to allow breaking in the middle of sounding notes you’ll need

\remove Forbid_line_break_engraver

in the Voice context(s).