Re: Understanding how \tag works in \relative pitched music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Understanding how \tag works in \relative pitched music
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 08:02:30 -0400

Hi Guy,

> Which suggests that \tag used with \relative will never work.

Whether or not your conclusion is technically accurate — others will be more
qualified to confirm or correct — the unpredictability of \relative with \tag
(which I used to use heavily, before finding the edition-engraver) was one of
the principal reasons I abandoned the use of \relative in all my music some
years ago, after almost a decade of using it exclusively. There are many, many
other reasons I'm glad I switched to absolute (and \fixed), but this was a main
one.

You might consider doing the same? Editors like Frescobaldi make it easy to
switch code back and forth between relative and absolute — even so, I've never
found a reason to go back to relative once I've converted any [legacy] code to
absolute. (On rare occasions, I'll use \fixed.). I can say with great
confidence that a measurable chunk of my frustration with Lilypond disappeared
along with \relative.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer