Re: XML import (WAS: A premiere by Daahoud Salim, typeset with LilyPond)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: XML import (WAS: A premiere by Daahoud Salim, typeset with LilyPond)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 14:01:51 +0100

On Tue, 2017-08-15 at 13:25 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> From my work on Daahoud Salim's sextet, I can tell to those interested
> some things to do and some not to. Today I am focusing on the XML
> import alone.
>
> Long story short: avoid it.
[...]
> My advice to all copyists is: unless you can extract naked pitches and
> rhythms from the XML, it is better to forget it.

I agree with this advice, which is why Denemo's MusicXML is still so
primitive. It has a few hiccups but it ignores most of what is not the
the music per se but is instead decisions about how the music should
look. I think LilyPond would be well served by a converter that takes
all the pitches/durations and things like time signatures needed to make
sense of them and ignores everything else. Meantime, Denemo can provide
a rather clunky route to get the bulk of the notes of a piece from
MusicXML into LilyPond notation.

Richard