Re: tweaks don't apply to post-function grob

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: tweaks don't apply to post-function grob
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:11:38 +0200

> Hi David (et al.),
>
>>> Can \dynText or similar be fashioned in such a way that leaves open
>>> the possibility of [effectively] tweaking the grob later in the
>>> process?
>>
>> I repeat: If you want self-alignment-X to be heeded in there in some
>> manner, you need to incorporate it in the callback for the offset.
>
> I do appreciate the "teach a man to fish" approach…
>
> I've poked around at the \dynText function, and the \dynamic function
> in OpenLilyLib (see snippet, below, for original version), but have
> been as yet unable to incorporate self-alignment-X into the
> callback(s) for the offset in a way that seems to work.

I don't see what you tried.  And I have no idea how you actually call
"seems to work", namely just _how_ you want self-alignment-X to get
factored in, considering that the whole point of the dynText function is
to figure out an alignment yielding a text-dependent reference point.

So maybe you should say just what values of self-alignment-X you want to
lead to what alignment points when given a text like "somewhat f".

So far I have seen nothing in the way of spelling out what you actually
_want_.  Well, you want a dial to fiddle with, but just what values
should lead to what results without losing the whole point of dynText's
calculation is nothing you bothered to specify.

And of course that is something you need to figure out before even
starting to "poke around".

--
David Kastrup