Re: tweaks don't apply to post-function grob

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: tweaks don't apply to post-function grob
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 17:14:07 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>  I have no idea how you actually call "seems to work",
>
>  namely just _how_ you want self-alignment-X to get factored in,
>
>  considering that the whole point of the dynText function is
>  to figure out an alignment yielding a text-dependent reference point.
>
> Sorry I haven't been clear.
>
> Here is a concrete description/example of what I want, and what I
> would say "works":
>
> 1. Attached is a screenshot of a current score I'm engraving.
>
> 2. I've used \dynText to create the dynamic "mp intensely".
>
> 3. Since the layout is such that this falls at the very end of a
> system, it messes up the horizontal spacing.
>
> 4. Using the edition-engraver, I'd like to set self-alignment-X =
> #RIGHT (which would allow the note spacing to normalize) and then use
> either X-offset or extra-offset to nudge the dynamic back to the right
> (to approximate the "proper" alignment). If I can do that, the
> mechanism (i.e., function + post-hoc tweak) "works".

Sigh.  I repeat: _what_ values of self-alignment-X should move the
reference point _where_ in "somewhat f"?  The default would be to have
-1 be the left border of the whole text, +1 the right border, 0 the
_center_ (and _not_ the middle of t and f).

You say you want self-alignment-X as +1 refer to the right border.  You
can already have that by just reverting X-offset to its default and then
using self-alignment-X in the old manner.

So apparently that is _not_ what you want, but you still fail to specify
_what_ you actually want.  Without such a specification, there will be
no code doing what you want because you just leave far too much in the
open.

> Although I clearly did not communicate my intention well enough, I
> knew *exactly* what I wanted before I started poking around.

You have a hand-waving idea about a border case and want to be able to
fudge your way around from that.  That's too vague for casting into a
computer-comprehensible form.

--
David Kastrup