Can \lyricmode be applied to specific measures and exempted from others?

From: Reilly Farrell
Subject: Can \lyricmode be applied to specific measures and exempted from others?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 11:15:18 -0700

Hi All,

I'm curious to know if there is a way to apply \lyricmode to a certain number of measures and then terminate it.  My chief concern is that using lyricmode creates excess space between the system and dynamic markings for measures where no lyrics are present.  Ideally, I would like to be able to turn \lyricmode off for measures where no lyrics are needed to avoid adding this excess space.  Any suggestions?