Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:24:48 -0400

Hi Shevek,

> I posted a snippet to do correct custom dynamic alignment a month or so ago.

Yes, I know. I like the alignment very much.

But I prefer Janek's interface, which offers the ability to put an arbitrary
string (e.g., "poco f, but p sub. ma non troppo") and it Does The Right Thing™…
well, the Right Thing modulo alignment when the leading word is a dynamic.  =\

> I tried just copy and pasting my offset callback into Janek's snippet, but
> it doesn't quite work because the callback relies on assuming the dynamic is
> at the beginning, and any additional text follows it.

I think a single "if" added to Janek's function would suffice: if the word in
question is a dynamic (which Janek's function already works out) *AND* it's the
first word (Janek's function *doesn't* do this), then apply an appropriate
X-offset adjustment (similar or identical to yours), otherwise left-align
(which Janek's function already does).

I'm scrambling to get a commission engraving out the door — what else is new!?
— so I don't have time to climb the Scheme-fu learning curve to get that done
right now… If nobody's done it before this score gets sent off (mid-week?),
I'll try to tackle it myself.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer