Re: manual beaming and variables

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: manual beaming and variables
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 16:19:01 +0200

Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> On 27 August 2017 at 08:57, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> However, LilyPond does not permit adding "post events" after the fact
>> (never mind their name).  You can use
>>
>> {
>>   <>[ \note b b b]
>> }
>>
>> to have the beam start event on an empty chord with duration 0.  This
>> will work reasonably well for beaming but not for post events (like
>> string numbers) that need to be attached to single notes rather than
>> moments of time.
>>

> Great David, thank you! And what about the note duration? Is there any why
> to avoid to specify the note duration and write something like this:
>
> \version "2.19.60"
>
> nc = c_3
> nd = d_2
> ne = e_3
> nf = f_4
>
> {
>   \fixed c' {<>8 [\nc \nd \ne \nf}
>   \fixed c' {<>16 [\nc \nd \ne \nf}
> }
>
> (I know I can use a snippet, but I'm curious to see if in simple case like
> this there is simplier solution).

Well, you can cheat by going inside of chords like

\version "2.19.60"

nc = c_3
nd = d_2
ne = e_3
nf = f_4

{
  \fixed c' {<\nc>8 [ <\nd> <\ne> <\nf>]}
  \fixed c' {<\nc>16 [ <\nd> <\ne> <\nf>]}
}
since then the durations get removed and reassigned, but you are hardly
going to make your source code more readable by that.

I think you are likely better off by creating music functions for the job.

--
David Kastrup