Re: Breaking Ties to Avoid Time Signature Changes

From: Brian kozaczek
Subject: Re: Breaking Ties to Avoid Time Signature Changes
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:04:47 +0000 (UTC)

YUSS!!

It worked!

I did have to include;

\override Tie.layer = #-2

so my solution looked like;

\numericTimeSignature
\time 4/4
\override Tie.layer = #-2
\override Staff.TimeSignature.layer = #-1
b4 \rest b \rest b8 \rest <d, ef bf'>~ <d ef bf'>4~ | % m. 5
\once \override Staff.TimeSignature.whiteout = ##t
\time 6/4

without the inclusion of;

\override Tie.layer = #-2

the staff lines behind the time signature were also whited out.

I tried fiddling with the values (after #) to make ties hug the time signature a little tighter, but could not get them to budge.

Anyone know how to extend the ties, or inversely, get the whiteout area to be narrower (or follow the outline of the numbers themselves)?

But this answer definitely will work for me Inline image
thank you Ben and Joram!

Note also;

In my particular instance I had to delete the time signature from \global, and because of the frequent time signature changes, had to make sure all changes in times were manually entered for each of the 3 instruments and piano.

If anybody has tips for entering mixed meter for chamber ensemble pieces that cuts down on manual work please let me know.

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 5:13:37 AM EDT, SoundsFromSound <address@hidden> wrote:

Brian kozaczek wrote
> Hi All,
>
> How do I break ties from a chord (single voice) that overlap a changed
> time signature in the next measure?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

Brian,

I use something like this for when that happens to me:

\relative {
  \override Tie.layer = #-2
  \override Staff.TimeSignature.layer = #-1
  \override Staff.KeySignature.layer = #-1
  \override Staff.TimeSignature.whiteout = ##t
  \override Staff.KeySignature.whiteout = ##t
  b'2 b~
  \time 3/4
  \key a \major
  b r4