Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 16:31:53 -0400

Hi Xavier,

> For correct alignment of "dynamic + text" (or "text + dynamic") I used
> to rely on Graham's "make-dynamic-extra" function, which worked well.

It's hardly perfect, though — for example, the dynamic isn't centred correctly
here:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.64"
#(define (make-dynamic-extra dynamic string)
     (make-music
       'AbsoluteDynamicEvent
       'tweaks
         ;; calculate centering for text
         (list (cons (quote X-offset)
           (+ -0.5 (* -0.5 (string-length dynamic)))))
       'text
         (markup #:whiteout
           #:line (
               dynamic
               #:hspace 0.5
               #:normal-text #:italic string))
      ))

test = #(make-dynamic-extra "fmf" "dolce")

{ a1\test }
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

> Is your new \dynamic function an improved version of this?
> And what does it add more?

I'm hoping this conversation ends with us having a function that will truly Do
The Right Thing™, in all reasonable situations.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info