Re: Key signature on multiple staves

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Key signature on multiple staves
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 17:44:35 +0200 (CEST)

I object against calling the best practice provided by Jens as "\global hack".

Let's use a different perspective:
Programs like Finale or Sibelius require you to have the same key for each staff. While that may be convenient for a lot of music I actually think that's a shortcoming of these programs as they do not allow you to write music with staffs using different keys (the possible retort "I don't need that flexibility" is not valid when others want it). Even when using transposing instruments there are clear limitations to what you can achieve.

Lilypond on the other hand does not put any such restriction on you.

Apart from that applying some general settings to each an every staff, aka having a macro with these settings that's customarily called global, is something I find helpful when structuring my code and that I use anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Kind regards,
Michael

Robert Murdoch <address@hidden> hat am 31. August 2017 um 16:24 geschrieben: