Re: Suppress empty lines?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suppress empty lines?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:09:57 +0200

Bernhard Kleine <address@hidden> writes:

> The fugue from Bach's Magnificat starts with Basso, the Tenor, Alto,
> Sopran II and I. How can I get rid of lines where only rests are given.
> I would also be interested how one could find this information.

"Notation Reference"/"Musical notation"/"Staff notation"/"Modifying
single staves"/"Hiding staves"

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#hiding-staves>

Hiding staves

Staff lines can be hidden by removing the ‘Staff_symbol_engraver’ from
the ‘Staff’ context.  As an alternative, ‘\stopStaff’ may be used.

     \new Staff \with {
       \remove "Staff_symbol_engraver"
     }
     \relative { a''8 f e16 d c b a2 }

PNG image

   Empty staves can be hidden (for a so-called ‘Frenched Score’) by
applying the ‘\RemoveEmptyStaves’ command on a context, which can be
done globally (in a ‘\layout’ block) as well as for specific staves only
(in a ‘\with’ block).  This command removes all empty staves in a score
except for those in the first system.  If you want those in the first
system to be hidden also, use ‘\RemoveAllEmptyStaves’.  Supported
contexts are ‘Staff’, ‘RhythmicStaff’ and ‘VaticanaStaff’.

          Note: A staff is considered empty when it contains only
          multi-measure rests, rests, skips, spacer rests, or a
          combination of these elements.

     \layout {
       \context {
         \Staff
         \RemoveEmptyStaves

     \relative <<
       \new Staff {
         e'4 f g a \break
         b1 \break
         a4 b c2
       }
       \new Staff {
         c,4 d e f \break
         R1 \break
         f4 g c,2
       }

PNG image

‘\RemoveAllEmptyStaves’ can also be used to create ossia sections for a
staff.  For details, see *note Ossia staves::.

Predefined commands

‘\RemoveEmptyStaves’, ‘\RemoveAllEmptyStaves’.

--
David Kastrup