Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 10:17:19 -0400

Hi Wol,

> Given that I can't even do it ONCE successfully, what makes you think I can
> write a function to do it automatically?

Fair point.  =)

> While it may sound weird. the reality is you probably didn't find it too hard
> to learn Scheme, because you're a composer not a programmer.

Actually, I am a programmer: started with BASIC (and a little assembler
language) in the early 1980s, then FORTRAN (including WATFIV) and APL in the
late 1980s, then Java in the late 1990s, and a bunch of lesser languages
(scripting, etc.) along the way.

> Because I'm a procedural (that is. C and Fortran) programmer, it's a lot
> harder for me to learn Scheme because it's a completely different *sort* of
> language.

I agree that it's very difficult for some procedural programmers to learn. I
found the same thing when I taught XSL(T), which I find extremely intuitive,
but many of my students (and programmer friends) find it impossible to get
their mind around.

> I want the rehearsal mark sitting above the stave. That's easy (or should be,
> just adjust outside-staff-priority).
> Push the music to the right so it doesn't collide with the rehearsal mark

So you literally want a gap under the mark?

> Then use one of the text-alignment functions to place the melody above the
> tempo

I hope the following helps, or at least points you in the right direction.

Best,
Kieren.

%%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.40"

markplusmel =
#(define-music-function
  (marktext melodyname)
  (markup? markup?)
  #{
    \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols = #'(time-signature)
    \once \override Score.RehearsalMark.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
    \mark \markup \override #'(baseline-skip . 2.5) \column { $marktext
\fontsize #-2 $melodyname }
  #})

testing = {
  \markplusmel "AAA" "All Killer, No Filler"
  \tempo 4=100
  c''1
}

{ \testing }