Re: Gotlandstoner

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Gotlandstoner
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 00:29:33 +0200

Am 01.09.2017 um 22:42 schrieb Erik Ronström:
Nice work, but your pdf includes many different subsets of the lilypond fonts and is several MB to big because of this.

Use the --bigpdfs option of lilypond  in step 3. The resulting pdfs are _much_ bigger because all glyphs from the fonts are included.

 …
Wow, thanks, I hadn’t thought of that at all! There’s always something more to learn! :)

If I apply the attached patch to a cloned git archive I get the following results with ghostscript 9.06:

bok2: Original size 9.996.691 bytes, optimized size 2.043.380 bytes
bok3: Original size 13.706.324 bytes, optimized size 2.447.232 bytes

Unfortunately I found that a current git master of ghostscript does not work as intended. I have to bisect and investigate that problem.

A lot of pages contain a lot of white space. It would be possible to include every staff as a paragraph instead of including the whole pdfs ….
Yeah, but that is intentional. I didn’t want tunes split over page breaks (except the tunes that are too long to fit in one page). Actually that was the main reason for not using lilypond-book: I wanted more fine-grained control over vertical spacing, and I found that much easier to achieve when lilypond takes care of the whole typesetting process.

I did not write about using lilypond-book, I never use it and prefer pdf(la)tex/xe(la)tex/lua(la)tex for similar reasons.

I agree that there are valid reasons not to split over page breaks if a page turn would be the result. But why do you have objections against  a score starting on an even page and continuing on an uneven page?

A possible extension of your work: You might generate score videos (example) and add links to those videos in your books ....

Knut