Re: multiple \keys and \time problem

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: multiple \keys and \time problem
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 16:17:52 +0200

Hi Werner,

sorry for late reply

>> The idea is to make `supressRedundantKeySigs' set an `is-redundant'
>> flag in the redundant grob instead of calling `ly:grob-suicide!'.  A
>> modified stencil function for KeySignature can now check this flag
>> together with `ly:item-break-dir' to suppress the grob if necessary.

I've no clue how to do it different, so this might be the best we can hope of.

> I wonder whether it makes sense to provide this behaviour as the
> default for lilypond.  Or to ask differently: Is there any practical
> use of having redundant calls to \time or \key actually print a time
> or key signature again?

I think we should not ignore user-settings, better: we should provide
a mechanism to reflect them.
Why not similiar to Clef?
Ignore repeated settings unless the relevant context-property is set true.

{ \clef alto R1 \clef alto R1 \set Staff.forceClef = ##t \clef alto R1 }

>> I would be glad if someone could polish the code...
>
> This still holds :-)

There' not much to polish, imho.

One could use make-engrever...
Maybe the if-expresseion in the stencil-override could be:

             (if (or at-bol? (not is-redundant?))
                 (ly:key-signature-interface::print grob)
                 empty-stencil)

That's all I see currently.

Cheers,
  Harm