Re: video generation

From: Paul
Subject: Re: video generation
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 13:04:05 -0400

Hi Adam,

Hi, I got it to work, but I did it with an installation of LilyDev
(GNU/Linux Debian) in a virtual machine.  (See the LilyPond contributor's
guide.)
That sounds like a good idea.

Please also do ask for help by stating the exact problems you
encountered :-)

It's been awhile and I remember mostly wrangling dependencies. Should have reported things at the time.

I've been distracted away from ly2video development
by other things lately, but I still try to help with reported
problems.  As mentioned above, I just fixed some critical breakage in
the installation process, so it'd be good to know if that helps.

Glad to know you're still maintaining it as time allows. Thanks for all your work on it in the first place!

Knut's tool certainly looks worth investigating, and it's certainly
possible his approach is better than the one in ly2video in some
respects.  However please don't write off ly2video just because I
haven't done much with it recently (except for today).  It has some
nice features, like multiple scrolling modes, and the ability to
synchronise the video perfectly with live performances with variable
tempi.  In the long term it'd be great if the LilyPond community
converged on a single best-of-breed solution.

Good points. On second thought I see no reason not to use ly2video (assuming that ascii bug or others don't affect you).

-Paul