Re: Lyrics above/below on the fly

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Lyrics above/below on the fly
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 11:11:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Andrew,

I'm working on a project where the composer wants both singing voices on the same staff (it's a call-and-response thing), but such that whenever "voice 1" is singing, stems and lyrics are down, and whenever "voice 2" is singing, they're up.

you have had a look at the notation manual and there the stuff under the heading "Single-staff polyphony"?

There are extensive examples for all sorts of situations like the one you described.

I can switch stem direction with \stemUp and \stemDown, and I can use \set Staff.instrumentName to change the name as well. But is there some command to change the lyrics' vertical placement so-to-speak on the fly? With a single voice? Usince \set Lyrics.alignAboveContext = "staff" doesn't seem to work.

alignAboveContext requires the name of the context, e.g.

\new Staff = "2voice"...

....alignAboveContext = "2voice"

should work.

Try to provide a MWE - that will greatly simplify helping with your problem :)

Kind regards,
Michael