Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 17:10:42 -0400

Hi Xavier,

> Personally I came recently to think that "Doing The Right Thing™"
> would be to have on option to **align** texts on dynamics.
>
> Something like
>
>   \override TextScript.align-on-simultaneous-dynamic = ##t
>
> and then
>
>   c'1\mp_\markup \italic "dolce"  % would give "mp dolce"

o_O

Wow. Harm's [amazing] function solves many *other* problems that your suggested
implementation probably doesn't/can't… But for 95% (or probably more) of the
real-world situations, your suggestion is a stunningly elegant solution to the
problem, at least in terms of UI. (Of course, getting Lily to actually *do*
what you're suggesting might be frighteningly difficult!)

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info