Re: \mark and slur

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \mark and slur
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:35:46 +0200

Rutger Hofman <address@hidden> writes:

> But isn't the start time of this <> the start time of the c4 in the
> second line, so that <>( c4) is equivalent to c4(); which causes the
> warnings 'cannot end slur' for ')' and 'unterminated slur' for '('?

Yes and yes.

> My guess is that this insertion of <> makes things more complicated
> for us, unenlightened users, if anything.

In this case, it leads to followup warnings (rather than a fatal error
bombing out completely): the underlying assumption is that the syntax
needs fixing, not that the complete timing is wrong.

Either way, warnings should always be addressed by the user.  They
indicate something being fishy.

> My preference would be to clearly explain that '(' is an attribute of
> the note that directly precedes it.

That's what the "loose post-event" bit is supposed to be about.

>>> GNU LilyPond 2.21.0
>>> Processing `sll.ly'
>>> Parsing...
>>> sll.ly:4:13: warning: Adding <> for attaching loose post-event
>>>    \mark "X"
>>>              (c4) c c c

If you have a better proposal for the error message, let fly.

Me:

>>> Is that more helpful than previously?

Malte:

>> If adding <> is the thing that is done now, of course this is more
>> helpful.

As you can see, Malte isn't of your opinion, and I am less than sure.
Independent of the general impression, the text of the warning might be
subject to improvement.

--
David Kastrup