Re: \mark and slur

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Re: \mark and slur
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:09:57 +0200

On 14-09-17 15:57, David Kastrup wrote:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Rutger Hofman <address@hidden> writes:

My preference would be to clearly explain that '(' is an attribute of
the note that directly precedes it.

That's what the "loose post-event" bit is supposed to be about.

Yes, I understand. But still, I fear it is a steep hurdle for the uninitiated to understand that 'loose post-event'.

GNU LilyPond 2.21.0
Processing `sll.ly'
Parsing...
sll.ly:4:13: warning: Adding <> for attaching loose post-event
    \mark "X"
              (c4) c c c

If you have a better proposal for the error message, let fly.

Note: another component that may possibly be included in the warning
message for this input would be "SlurEvent".  Would

sll.ly:4:13: warning: Adding <> for attaching loose SlurEvent
    \mark "X"
              (c4) c c c

be any better?  Or not mention the expedient of <> at all (might make it
harder for the user to figure out a workaround for his situation)?

sll.ly:4:13: warning: Cannot attach SlurEvent to preceding expression
    \mark "X"
              (c4) c c c

This one comes closest for me. I think it could be helpful to also explain that the 'preceding expression' is not a note, and that that is required for a SlurEvent/slur? Or is doing this for all possible error scenarios a lifetime job?

or for brevity

sll.ly:4:13: warning: unattachable SlurEvent
    \mark "X"
              (c4) c c c

But this is just me; maybe others have different feelings.

Rutger