I Too Have Problems with Codas

From: Robert Murdoch
Subject: I Too Have Problems with Codas
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:20:24 +0100

Hi,

For some reason my reply to Shamus Hammons' "Problems with Codas" post hasn't shown up after half an hour, so I'll post about codas here instead.

It is practically impossible to set up a coda properly in LilyPond. In most scores I've seen, the main score and the coda section are separated by whitespace on the same line, and the brackets/braces, barline before clef, clef, key signature and time signature are re-printed.

It is possible, albeit extremely complicated, to create the whitespace and clef, key and time with \stopStaff and engravers, but it seems creating the brackets/braces and barline before the clef cannot be done, as powerful as LilyPond is. All examples I've seen for codas in the LilyPond Snippet Repository are for a single staff that requires no brackets or braces, which isn't really helpful.

Maybe I'm wrong—I haven't explored every single aspect of the program, after all—but I thought codas would be made easy to create after all these years.

If my description above didn't help, here's blank sheet music of sixteen bars with a coda, done in MuseScore.