Re: Problem with Codas

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Re: Problem with Codas
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:53:43 -0400

On 2017-09-18 10:07 PM, Caagr98 wrote:
> On 09/18/17 19:46, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
>> Omitting the coda alternative, this would be the natural way to input
>> repeats of the form “D.S. al Fine”.  I would suggest “\repeat ds” (and
>> “\repeat dc”, unless you want to add magic that recognizes the start of
>> a piece) as the syntax.
>
> There is already magic that recognizes the start of the piece in volta
> repeat (no start repeat barline), so I don't see how that would be a
> problem.

I’ve got a piece that has the segno at the start, but I suppose an
\override could fix that.  (Of course, this same printing has one piece
with the instruction “D.C. Dal Segno.” where “D.C. al Fine” or “D.S. al
Fine” is almost certainly intended, so taking it as an example might not
be a good idea.)

(Question: if the music continues after the repeat, is that always a
coda, or can “Fine” be followed by more music?)

––Joel C. Salomon