Click and Point Issue

From: Stephan Zitzmann
Subject: Click and Point Issue
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 12:48:35 +0200

I have asked this question at the frescobaldi list, but Urs Liska gave me
the advice to ask here and to forward my question and his answer.

My question:

This is a excerpt of a greater score:

\version "2.19.65"

cha = \lyricmode {
  cha -- ka -- ti -- ki

}

dak = \lyricmode {
  da -- ka -- la

}

ch = {a16 a a a}
da = {\times 2/3 {a16 a a }}

TRB = {
  \set subdivideBeams = ##t

  \set baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)
  \set beatStructure = #'(2 2 2 2)
}

TRA = {

  \unset subdivideBeams

  \unset baseMoment
  \unset beatStructure

}

\new DrumStaff {
      \override Staff.StaffSymbol.line-positions = #'(0 )

      \ch a16 a a a32 a
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch a16 a a a32 a
      a16 a a32 a a16 \ch
      \ch a16 a a a32 a
      \ch a16 a a a32 a
      \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      \ch \ch
      \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      \ch \ch
      \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      \ch \ch
      \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      \ch \ch
      \ch a16 a a a32 a
      a16 a a32 a a16 \ch
      \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      a16 a a a32 a \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
      \ch  a16 a a a32 a
      \ch  a16 a a a32 a
      \ch  a16 a a a32 a
      \ch  a16 a a a32 a
       \ch  a16 a a a16
       a16 a a32 a a16 a a32 a a16 a32 a
       a16 a a32 a a16 \ch
       a16 a a32 a a16 \ch
       \ch a32 a a16 a a
       a16 a a a32 a a32 a a16 a a

       \ch \ch
       \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      \ch \ch
      \ch \ch
       \TRB
      \da \da \da \da
      \TRA
      a16 a a a32 a\ch
    }

    \addlyrics {
      \override LyricHyphen.minimum-distance = 1.5
      \revert LyricText.color \cha \cha  ba --
      \cha  \cha
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha
      weg -- ta  -- ti -- ki \cha  ba --
      cha -- ka  -- ti -- ba -- da \cha
      weg -- ta  -- ti -- ki \cha  ba --
      \cha \cha  ba --
      \dak \dak \dak \dak
      \cha \cha
      \dak \dak da -- ba -- la ba -- la -- da
      \cha \cha
      \dak ba -- la -- da \dak \dak

      \cha \cha
      \dak \dak \dak \dak
      \cha \cha
      weg -- ta  -- ti -- ki \cha  ba --
      cha -- ka  -- ti -- ba -- da \cha
      \dak \dak \dak \dak
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha
      weg -- ka -- ti -- ki  ba -- \cha
      weg -- ka -- ti -- ki \cha
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha
      \cha \cha ba --
      \cha \cha ba --
      \cha \cha ba --
      \cha \cha ba --
       \cha \cha
       cha -- ka -- ti  bi -- ki
       cha -- ka  ba -- ti -- ki ba --
       cha -- ka -- ti  bi -- ki \cha
       cha -- ka -- ti  bi -- ki \cha
       \cha  cha -- ba --  ka -- ti -- ki
       weg -- ka -- ti -- ki  ba -- cha -- ba --  ka -- ti -- ki
       \cha \cha
        \dak \dak \dak \dak
      \cha \cha
       \cha \cha
        \dak \dak \dak \dak
      \cha ba -- \cha

    }

If I am clicking on a note or  syllable in the note viewer I am landning not
at the place, where I  am using the predefinied
variable, I am landing where I definied the variables. So I have to scroll
and I am lost a little bit in the code. This is not helpfull.

Urs Liska answer:

This is an issue with LilyPond, not with Frescobaldi. The point is that the
"origin" which is saved in the graphical symbol points to the *definition*
of it and not to where you use it.

The only way I can see to overcome this is to change your variables like \ch
or \dak to Scheme functions that massage that origin. This is somewhat more
involved, and I don't see right now *how* complicated it would be and
therefore whether it would be worth the trouble.

But I suggest you repost your question (incorporating my comments) on the
lilypond-user mailing list because there are many more people who may be
able to help you.

Good luck
Urs

My personal opinion is, I do not need help. But I think it is a kind of bug.
Because of the resulting big unusibality.

Regards
Stephan