Re: automatic partwriter

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: automatic partwriter
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 07:58:28 -0500

Hi Kieren,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 8:16 AM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> I wanted to share something which I think illustrates the power that
>> Lily has over other popular notation software.
>
> o_O
>
> Amazing.
>
> 1. You are a force of nature.

Well, diligent/obsessive in fits and starts :)

> 2. The timing on this share couldn't have been better: in the next few
> months, I'll be giving presentations/lectures at several universities and
> colleges, and will be featuring Lilypond prominently in parts of those
> presentations. I want to include truly "mindset-altering" applications, and
> this definitely counts as such.

Sure, go ahead!  Just be aware that the partwriter is only decent at
the moment with progressions of root-position triads.  I need to clean
up the code before I can enhance it.  (At the top of the list is
giving it an "understanding" of harmonic function and allowing
variable doublings.)  I'll keep you up to date.

> Thanks for all you do!

You're very welcome!