Re: Ties between voices?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Ties between voices?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2017 10:18:01 +0800

---- On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 23:15:17 +0800 Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote
----
> > You could do \override TieColumn.positioning-done = ##t, but be aware,
> > using it means you are now responsible yourself for the Tie's
> > directions.
> > You tell LilyPond "Don't bother placing the Ties, I'll do"
>
> Though the output is not convincing, imho.

I think there's not really a good way.

So far, three options:

- LilyPond places ties (normal behavior): Three upper b's, two ties. The first
tie is up and the second is down. The down-tie passes through a thick chord. I
lose it visually.

- "positioning-done = ##t": Both upper-b ties go up. The second passes through
a d note head and it passes under a tie that starts later, both of which are
ugly, but I can see the tie clearly.

- \laissezVibrer: The \laissezVibrer ties go up and down, but the \repeatTies
both go down. I could split the b's into one voice and the other chord notes
into a different voice, but then I have an unpleasant bargain between the b's
sitting off to the side (and, in my test, LP pushes the b's to the right,
obscuring the \repeatTie), or smashing them into \oneVoice and then LP doesn't
arrange the a and b properly.

To my eye, "positioning-done = ##t" is the least objectionable, so I'll go with
that.

Thanks for all the advice -- I learned *a lot* from this and I'm happy with the
outcome.

hjh