Lilypond merging quarter-note head with half-note head

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Lilypond merging quarter-note head with half-note head
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 03:04:48 +1100

Hi all,

I'm notating some four-part harmony for organ manuals that sometimes has optional small bass notes for the pedals. In one spot, I'm having trouble stopping Lilypond from merging the heads of a half-note G in the upper voice with a quarter-note G in the lower voice when there are small notes added in the bass part. Please see the code and pdf.

What I want is to get the quarter note positioned to the right of the half note (as in the top example), but with the large and small quarter-notes vertically aligned. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Regards,

Brent.

\version "2.18.2"

rightOne = \relative c'' {

  \voiceOne
   b2
}

rightTwo = \relative c' {

   d2
}

leftOne = \relative c' {

  \clef bass
   g2
}

leftTwo = \relative c {

   g'4 e
\bar "|."

}

\score {

  \header {
piece = \markup \bold \underline \large "desired position of quarter notes"
}

  \new PianoStaff  <<
    \new Staff = "right"  << \rightOne \\ \rightTwo >>
    \new Staff = "left"   << \leftOne \\ \leftTwo >>

}

rightOneII = \relative c'' {

  \voiceOne
   b2
}

rightTwoII = \relative c' {
   d2
}

leftOneII = \relative c' {

  \clef bass
   g2
}

leftTwoII = \relative c {
  \override Stem.length = 4.6
   <<\voiceOne {\stemDown g'4 e }
     \new Voice {\voiceTwo \teeny g, e} >>
\bar "|."

}

\score {

  \header {
piece = \markup \bold \underline \large "when I add the small notes"
}
  \new PianoStaff  <<
    \new Staff = "right"  << \rightOneII \\ \rightTwoII >>
    \new Staff = "left"   << \leftOneII \\ \leftTwoII >>