Re: Reducing staff numbers in LilyPond

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Reducing staff numbers in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 21:37:05 +0200

On 16.10.2017 21:29, Ken Williams wrote:
That's a question for the composer, not the engraver.  And it is legitimate for a composer to request unison.

Of course it’s legitimate, and it’s the engraver’s job to figure out a clear, yet economical way of writing it. I’d probably agree that it’s better to keep it to two staves, unless it’s a very extended passage. And with ‘actual unison’ one would be even more likely to lean toward two staves than with octaves.

Really hoping that LilyPond will be a suitable platform for experimenting with stuff like this, I'm a well-experienced programmer and musician, but pretty new to LilyPond.

Of course LilyPond is suitable for that – really this has been more of a general engraving question that would have to be asked for any software. (Such questions are very welcome on this list; additionally you might be interested in the Music Engraving Tips ‘venture’ which exists as a facebook page and separate website.)

Best, Simon