Independent rhythmic spacing between staves?

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Independent rhythmic spacing between staves?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 15:43:12 -0700

Hi all,

In my current project, I have a situation where the piano has fast arpeggios at the same time as the strings play a steady, slower rhythm (see attached screenshot). My feeling is that the best looking solution would be to temporarily sacrifice rhythmic alignment between the piano part and the rest of the staves, in order to maintain visually correct rhythmic spacing within the strings and the piano part independently. Is there are way to accomplish such a thing in Lilypond just for a measure or two? How would you deal with engraving this sort of passage?

Inline image 1