Multi-byte characters in Lyrics

From: Maurits Lamers
Subject: Multi-byte characters in Lyrics
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:15:31 +0200

Hi,

I am writing an extension to lilypond to support generating some basic braille
inside an includable .ly file.
I am trying to map the characters of lyric events into a set of braille dots.
One of the issues I have is that I have trouble finding a way to do this with
characters which seem to be multi-byte.
In this case, these character are defined in text mode as

"’s He"

I have tried quite a few ways of simply getting 5 characters, but the first one
(which I found out through other means) has charcode 8217.
None of the functions I could find works to get this character as one
character, as it seems that even integer->char only allows values between 0 and
255.
I have fiddled with ly:wide-char->utf-8 and ly:encode-string-for-pdf but that
doesn't bring much either.

Because of other limitations, it has to be compatible with Lilypond 2.14.

I have a big assoc list which contains the mapping, so I would like to be able
to perform (assoc-ref mymapping (symbol char)) to do the lookup
What would be the best way of achieving this with multi-byte characters?

Thanks in advance!

Maurits Lamers