Re: Made In The Pond™ update

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Re: Made In The Pond™ update
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:15:27 -0400

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all!

Just a note from the trenches, to let you know how much Lilypond is being used in my day-to-day, mission-critical music work…

1. This past July, a somewhat-revised "Robin Hood: The Legendary Musical Comedy" (135' stage musical for chorus, soloists, and chamber orchestra) was performed in Chester, NS. We're slowly getting the scores into shape to start commercial/public licensing (this production was somewhat forgiving in that regard, since it involved one of my collaborators being on-site during the rehearsal period).

2. On October 11, at SUNY Fredonia, I gave a lecture and presentation of my music (concert music and other genres). As a result, I showed off a lot of [previously composed and engraved] Lilypond scores, including lots of polymetrics, etc.

3. On November 9-14, HAVEN Trio is presenting a mini-tour of Toronto (6 days, 5 concerts) in order to premiere "Three Portraits" (20' song cycle for soprano, clarinet, and piano) which they recently commissioned. More polymetrics here, as well as just lots of bending Lilypond to my will (shout-out to the edition-engraver!).

4. In March 2018, a revised version of "ToboR the RoboT" (90' stage musical) will receive its premiere at the Stirling Festival Theatre. This revision will result in a full set of new Lilypond scores: Piano/Conductor, Piano/Vocal, Vocal Book, and band parts.

5. In May 2018, there will be the premiere of a new large-scale work for full orchestra, chorus, and baritone soloist (45' requiem-style work). This will be my biggest engraving since 2013's "Home for the Holidays" (25' x 55 staves), so it will be a good test of Lilypond's current readiness for a project of that size.

6. Also in May 2018, there'll be the premiere of a new short work (~5') for string quartet. (After all the other stuff, it will be nice to have a small engraving to deal with!!)

7. In July 2018, a revision version of "The Gray Cat & The Flounder" (60' dramatic concert for soprano, baritone, and Pierrot-plus-percussion) will be presented (and filmed!) in Pittsburgh, in anticipation of a tour to Boulder CO and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2019.

“Not worth mentioning” are the dozen or so shorter pieces (standalone cabaret tunes, short instrumentals, etc.), almost-weekly quick vocal and choral arrangements and transpositions, and so on that are a regular part of my working life in any given year.

Okay… back to work: this threnody isn't going to compose (or engrave) itself!

Cheers,
Kieren.