Re: "Text spanner"-ish thing with text in the middle

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: "Text spanner"-ish thing with text in the middle
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 08:15:50 -0500

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 2:23 AM, James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:
> ---- On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 13:55:49 +0800 Nathan Ho <address@hidden> wrote ----
>> On 2017-10-27 21:37, James Harkins wrote:
>> > I couldn't find this quickly: for an unmetered section, I'd like to
>> > indicate duration by tuplet-style brackets, only not a tuplet (no
>> > change to note durations) and with arbitrary text markup in the
>> > middle...
>>
>> you can hijack an ordinary tuplet by setting the duration ratio to 1/1
>> and modifying the text:
>
> That's a neat trick, to use a tuplet like that -- I'll give it a try.
> Otherwise, Andrew's approach looks good too.

I'm a little late to the party, but attached is a very generalized
solution which offers a fully functional TextSpanner -- well, minus
arrows at this point -- with as many inner texts as you want.  A
single text will be centered.

The code is copied from the repository at
https://github.com/davidnalesnik/lilypond-text-spanner-inner-texts,
which contains instructions and a file of examples.

Best,
David