Re: "Guide notes"

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: "Guide notes"
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 16:51:19 +0100

Am 01.11.2017 um 16:03 schrieb David Wright:
I've sung (strictly, not sung) a great many of these
without knowing what they're officially called.
I've created this one with what looks like an awful
hack. Is there a better way in LP? (Googling
     lilypond guide note
turns up anything but.)

You could try to use \afterGrace for that:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.80"

enharmonicGuide =
#(define-music-function (music guide) (ly:music? ly:pitch?)
   #{
     \afterGrace #music {
       \once \omit Stem
       \override ParenthesesItem.font-size = -1
       \override ParenthesesItem.padding = 0.1
       \parenthesize
       $guide 4
     }
   #})

afterGraceFraction = 15/16

\relative {
  fis''2 \enharmonicGuide dis es
  c a
}

Try different values for font-size and padding. Also, I find the way LilyPond handles after-grace notes by default not optimal. You can either try using different afterGraceFraction values (like above) or the following override:
  \override Score.SpacingSpanner.strict-grace-spacing = ##t
The latter looks bad for this minimal example but might work better than setting afterGraceFraction in other contexts.