custom articulation position

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: custom articulation position
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 08:57:51 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

I am having a bit of trouble trying to create a custom articulation in
LilyPond. At the moment I have the following code:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.53"

doubleAccent = \markup {
  \halign #-0.72
  \combine
  \musicglyph #"scripts.sforzato"
  \raise #1.1
  \musicglyph #"scripts.sforzato"
}

{
  \time 3/4
  \stemUp
  a-\doubleAccent
  a'-\doubleAccent
  a''-\doubleAccent
  \stemDown
  a-\doubleAccent
  a'-\doubleAccent
  a''-\doubleAccent
}
\markup{""}  % just for spacing
{
  \time 3/4
  \stemUp
  a->
  a'->
  a''->
  \stemDown
  a->
  a'->
  a''->
}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Outputting:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t4165/12.png>

This does work well, but the new symbol does not automatically respond to
the stem position like a regular accent (compare both systems above). I know
that I can manually force their position with ^\doubleAccent and
_\doubleAccent, but I want to ask if is there any way of doing this
automagically. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And also, is there a way of associating a dynamic change to this new symbol
so that it also affects the MIDI output?

Many thanks!
Gilberto