Re: Creating orchestral score

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Creating orchestral score
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:11:56 +0100

On 05/11/17 02:33, Daniel Mehdizadeh wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out how to creat parts and use them to
> compile an orchestral score. I've finally made some sense of it all
> however am facing one problem:
> I've successfully created some random parts: horn, violin, flute and
> trumpet and they all have this layout:
>
> \version "2.19.80"
>
> \header {
>   instrument = "flute"
> }
>
> fluteNotes = \relative c' {
>   \time 2/4
>   r4 des
>   bes2
>   \time 5/8
>   des8 c2
> }
>
> \score {
>  { \fluteNotes}
> }

If this is the code for your parts, you're right, it prints a part. Here
is the problem. You don't want to include this file in a score, because
it still will print a part. For building files by including others,
whatever you include, make sure they don't print any parts by themselves.

> Now I've been trying to \include these part files in a score, and I was
> successful, however the score prints all the parts as a separate line or
> movement AND again it re-prints it together just like a score. So what I
> end up with is the flute part printed and next system with quite some
> space in between the next part and so on, then under all of it the score
> is printed. How can I just have the score? This is my score:
>
> \version "2.19.80"
>
> \include "Horn_Part.ly"
> \include "Violin_Part.ly"
> \include "flute_part.ly <http://flute_part.ly>"
> \include "trumpet_part.ly <http://trumpet_part.ly>"

Well it's funny what Thunderbird does to filenames here.

> \score {
> <<
>   \new Staff \hornNotes
>   \new Staff \violinNotes
>   \new Staff \fluteNotes
>   \new Staff \trumpetNotes
>>>
> }
>
> \header {
>   title = "Test"
>   instrument = "Orchestra"
>   tagline = ##f
>   piece = \markup \smallCaps {"Score"}
> }
>

> Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

One common setup is the following:

- Define variables for all parts. If this is a separate file, don't put
any score in it.
- Include the file above with the music. Prepare separate score blocks
for parts and the orchestral score. Use the variables you defined.

In short, separate "create and print a score" from "define variables
with music" in separate files so that when you include a file you don't
get unexpectedly printed scores.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com