Re: Transposing an entire score

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Transposing an entire score
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:56:50 -0600

On Wed 08 Nov 2017 at 11:33:34 (-0800), Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
> > From: Francisco Vila <address@hidden>
> > To: Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden>, Simon Albrecht <
> > address@hidden>
> > address@hidden>
> > Bcc:
> > Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:42:59 +0100
> > Subject: Re: Transposing an entire score
> > On 08/11/17 01:52, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
> > >
> > >     Why? That would only make sense if you used the same variables in
> > >     different scores and wanted to transpose all of them
> > >

> > > I answered the question that was asked.
> > > And it makes sense: to transpose music, you use the \transpose function.
> >
> > This is true, but I think what Simon says is that it is better to leave
> > the music definitions in concert pitch and transpose the choir staff
> > only, which is a single << >> music expression.
> >
> > Transposing every definition does work indeed, but it is a potential
> > source of problems for reusing that music (maybe in another
> > transposition) unless you want the music definitions transposed at
> > origin once and forever, for some reason.
> >
> > --
> > Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
> > paconet.org , csmbadajoz.com
> >

> I'll bet that no one else actually looked at the example provided.

Funny thing to say.

> Sure, you can \transpose at the score level;
> This is my normal practice as well.

Same here; my typical a cappella score starts
\book {
  \bookOutputSuffix "voices"
  \score {
    \transpose f f
    \new ChoirStaff <<
      \new Staff <<
apart from Anglican chants which have \trnsps, a music
function that allows for automatic transpositions when
making a psalm with LaTeX.

> However, in this example there were multiple scores across multiple files.
> Whereas the music variables, including \key's, were all in one file.

Yes, I would have done as you in the circumstances, except
I would have left the incipits untransposed; I don't think
it was originally written in four flats!

I don't usually have to take them into account as I print
mainly performing copies. I would be more concerned with
avoiding a riot¹ in the alto section by using a G clef,
and might then get away with only raising the key to G.

Cheers,
David.

¹ light-hearted expression; not intended to cause offence.