Re: openLilyLib (development)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: openLilyLib (development)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 23:54:28 +0100

Am 09.11.2017 um 22:55 schrieb Sam Bivens:
Hi Urs,

Like Ralph, my programming skills are minimal (=mostly nonexistent). Is there a way for people like us to contribute?

Definitely!
One of the things openLilyLib is missing is documentation of various kinds. In a way the most pressing is some low-level "package documentation" on the file level. It is pressing because it requires prior development of a suitable infrastructure (actually we had exposed this as a project suggestion for the Google Summer of Code this year), and because this will become even more a problem with each added package or package feature.

But equally useful for making openLilyLib usable and useful is a layer of high-level descriptions, and this is something non-programmers can very well contribute to. It would be good to have more content on oll-core's Wiki (https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core/wiki), giving more essayistic and practical information about what openLilyLib *is*, how it generally works and how it can be installed and used. Additionally similar overviews would be useful for the individual packages themselves (which can be found on https://github.com/openlilylib).

One possible way to contribute would be to get familiar with the system and/or with individual packages (the existing package are of quite varying complexity and maturity ...) and add descriptions to the Wiki pages of the different packages.

Getting familiar with packages can be started by trying out and investigating the example files that should be present in all packages. Of course I and the main authors of other packages would be happy to help with that process. And working on that kind of high-level documentation can easily be done in the GIthub web interface, with very little (if at all) knowledge of Git.

Best
Urs

Thanks,

Sam