Re: Assign Dynamics Context to PianoStaff for MIDI

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: Assign Dynamics Context to PianoStaff for MIDI
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:26:43 +0100

Hello Ben,

On 5 October 2017 at 20:24, Ben <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10/5/2017 12:03 PM, Robert Murdoch wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how to assign a Dynamics context to a PianoStaff...

Hello,

I usually end up creating a separate score for MIDI as well as a 'normal' layout.
I find that is the most efficient way to handle it, especially with piano in the instrumentation.
What version of LilyPond are you using?

However, I think you could do something like this...
(I saw this elsewhere on the mailing list if I remember correctly)

\version "2.19.65"

right = \relative c'' { c d e f c d e f }
left = \relative c' { c d e f c d e f }
dynamics = { s4\mf\> s4*3 s4\! s4\mp }

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "up" \right
    \new Dynamics \dynamics
    \new Staff = "down" \left

  \layout {}
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "up" <<
      \right
      \dynamics

    \new Staff = "down" <<
      \left
      \dynamics

  \midi {}
}

I copy and pasted your code, but I have not been able to hear any dynamics. The midi volume looks always the same. I also tried with

dynamics = { s4\fffff\> s4*3 s4\! s4\ppppp }

but no difference. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thank you, g.