Re: Newbie having trouble with transposition(s)

From: bb
Subject: Re: Newbie having trouble with transposition(s)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:09:28 +0100

http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html

Regards

Am 11.11.2017 um 02:51 schrieb Patrick Smith:
Another first-time LilyPond poster/user here!

I've been using LilyPond for about a week now and I'm really loving it already.

I'm a brass player who is using LilyPond to create beautiful engravings for brass ensembles. I'm also an engineer who wishes he was better at programming and LilyPond.

Anyway, I'm starting by transcribing/arranging string quartets for the standard brass quartet (2 trumpets in B flat, 1 horn in F and 1 trombone in C). The string parts are all non-transposing instruments.

Because I plan to do a lot of these, I'd like to get my templates *perfect* before moving past the first one. So far, I've managed to create a *single* input files that does everything (produces all the PDFs ... score and parts).

I've got most of the basics working however I'm having trouble with the transpositions. They aren't working as I expected. I thought the transposition function would take care of putting the parts into the right key. But, all of the parts have a key signature of d minor (one flat) (no key signature transposition is happening).

Please help me if you can.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Here is my minimalist Tiny code.

\version "2.18.2"
\header { ... }

% Global definitions
global = {
  \time 2/2
  \key d \minor
  s1*78
  \bar "|."
}

%*********************************
TrumpetOne = \new Voice {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Trumpet I in Bb"
  \clef treble
  \transpose bes c' {
    \relative c'' {

%*********************************
TrumpetTwo = \new Voice {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Trumpet II in Bb"
  \clef treble
  \transpose bes c' {
    \relative c' {

%*********************************
Horn = \new Voice {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Horn in F"
  \clef treble
  \transpose f c' {
    \relative c' {

%*********************************
Trombone = \new Voice {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Trombone"
  \clef bass
    \relative c {

%**********************************
music = {
  <<
    \tag #'score \tag #'trpI  \new Staff { << \global \TrumpetOne >> }
    \tag #'score \tag #'trpII \new Staff { << \global \TrumpetTwo>> }
    \tag #'score \tag #'horn  \new Staff { << \global \Horn>> }
    \tag #'score \tag #'trbn  \new Staff { << \global \Trombone>> }

}

%**********************************
% Print the score and create a midi file
\book {
  \bookOutputSuffix "Score"
  #(set-global-staff-size 14)
  \score {
    \header { piece = "Score" }
\bookOutputSuffix "Score"
    \new StaffGroup \keepWithTag #'score \music
    \layout { }
    \midi { }

% Print the TrumpetOne part
\book {